Monday, July 16, 2012

HIIT workouts

Some of you know that I am a personal trainer by trade. I have 11 years of training experience. I quit training when my husband finished up his PhD and we moved, but I have kept up all of my certifications and continue to attend National Conferences such as NSCA. With that said, I want to do a blog series on HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, workouts. This is a buzz word right now in the fitness community and rightly so.

HIIT workouts boast many benefits over other types of training.

In this series I will post 3 new workouts a week. HIIT workouts should be incorporated into your fitness routine 3 times per week.

I believe fitness is moving towards a combination of HIIT and endurance segments in one workout session. This means that you begin your workout after a dynamic warm-up with a HIIT workout and then finish it out with a longer, slower endurance workout. I will be adding some of these workouts into my fitness schedule as well.

Here is the first HIIT workout to go along with the 100 Day Fitness Challenge. This workout assumes that you have already been working out. If not, it is vital to work up to it by choosing a realistic distance for yourself. For example, run 1/4 mile instead of the miles. If you cannot run, do the same workout walking or on an eliptical if you have a gym or home gym you go to.
  • Warm-up for 10 minutes with dynamic movements such as light jogging. 
  • Run 1 mile at a pace that is difficult, yet doable. Time yourself or record your pace.
  • Run the second mile at a slower, more comfortable pace than the first mile.
  • Run 1 mile at the same pace/in the same amount of time as your first mile. 
  • Cool down for 10 minutes by walking.
Watch for my weekly workout schedule.
If you need specific help or have specific questions related to work outs please send me a message or leave a comment and I will get back to you.

Keep on Moving!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Carrie, Thanks for the read. I will try it in the gym today. Nothing like a wedding count down to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! Weddings are a motivation of their own:) Stay tuned for more HIIT workouts and good luck on your big day.

      Delete