Saturday, July 14, 2012

Clean Eating Mac and Cheese

As a favorite dish for my children I had to come up with an alternative for regular mac and cheese. I tried it for lunch and they thought it was great. I was surprised, but I'll take it. Here is what I did.


                                                   2 cups uncooked whole-wheat pasta
1 cup 1% milk
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour (I grind my own using white whole wheat)
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese (it may be good to combine 2 different types of cheese)
Salt and Pepper to taste


Cook and drain pasta.
Heat milk in a pan on medium low heat.
Whisk in flour and mustard making sure there are no lumps.
Remove pan from heat and add cheese. 
Stir until melted. Serve immediately over whole-wheat pasta. 
Stir to coat. Add salt and pepper as desired.

As I was making this dish I realized that it would have tasted great adding a chopped tomato or other chopped veggies that you may have on hand. I am not a fan of mac n cheese so the version with veggies might be just what I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment