Friday, July 13, 2012

Eating Clean Grocery List


Here is a list of "clean food" that gives me a good idea of what kinds of foods I should be trying to stock my pantry, fridge and freezer with. I will be making a few modifications such as under dairy they recommend margarine and I know that butter is healthier for me in terms of how it is made so I will be sticking with butter. Also, I do not drink tea or coffee so I will be loving me lots of good old water :) 
I found some containers at Costco that hold my different grains nicely. They are see through and air-tight. I took a sharpie and labeled each one with the contents and how to cook it. For example, "organic short grain brown rice. 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice". It is quite handy and I can see not only how to cook it, but when I am almost out.
I will be keeping an eye out for other clean foods that I want to add to my list. Just remember that a good rule of thumb is: if it has 5 ingredients or less and/or you know what every ingredient is...it is probably a good choice:)
It's shopping time...wish me luck.


Produce: (choose in-season options) you can choose any of your liking.
Vegetables:
Cucumber Romaine lettuce Mushrooms Green beans Asparagus Broccoli Squash Turnip Spinach Onions Garlic Celery Sweet Potatoes Potatoes Zucchini (baby squash) Tomato
Fruit
Fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries) Apples Bananas 
Pears Avocado Un-sweetened dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, raisins, apples, prunes, figs, dates)

Bakery:
Whole-grain breads Brown rice wraps Whole-grain wraps (Ezekiel wraps)

Meat, Poultry, Seafood:
Chicken breast Pork tenderloin Salmon Tilapia, cod, or other white fish Firm and silken tofu Textured vegetable protein Beef tenderloin Bison Lean ground turkey
Lean ground chicken

Dairy:
Eggs (omega-3 variety) Skim or 1% milk Fat-free soymilk, rice milk or almond milk Fat-free, sugar-free plain yogurt Olive oil-based margarine Kefir

Nuts, Seeds and Oils:
Unsalted almonds, cashews, walnuts Unsalted sunflower seeds All-natural nut & seed butters (almond, cashew, peanut, tahini) Flaxseed Extra-virgin olive oil Safflower oil
Pumpkin oil Pam (or non-stick spray) Other exotic oils

Cereals:
Muesli Weetabix Kashi Go Lean Shredded Wheat All-Bran Steel-cut oats Cream of Wheat

Dry Goods:
Brown rice Wheat germ Oats Oat bran Quinoa Bulgur Millet Baking soda Whole-wheat flour Baking powder Vanilla, best quality Sea salt Sugar substitute (Agave nectar, Sucanat, Rapadura, stevia) Other whole-grain flours (quinoa,
amaranth, spelt) Spices (cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon)

Canned Goods:
Chickpeas Beans (navy, white, kidney, etc.) Lentils Tomatoes (crushed or whole) Water-packed tuna Water-packed salmon Low-fat, sugar-free, low-sodium soups Low-sodium corn and peas Tomato paste Low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock

Condiments:
Mustard Salsa All-natural, sugar-free tomato sauce Unsweetened, organic applesauce Honey

Beverages:
Green tea Maca tea Tulsi tea Coffee 
Bottled water

Supplements:
Bee pollen Protein powder (hemp, whey, rice) Omega-3 fatty acids Creatine (optional) MSM Magnesium Calcium Vitamins B, C, E Spirulina

Misc.:
Balsamic vinegar Rice vinegar Lemon juice Lime juice
Apple cider vinegar 

No comments:

Post a Comment