Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Clean Eating Update 2

Don't think that just because I haven't been blogging about my clean eating that I have given up :0) I think that it is time for an update.

Life just gets in the way of all the things I want to do...including clean eating. After deciding to "go clean" for 100 days my family experienced a number of set backs including floods, family get togethers..need I say more? That is just scraping the surface and I don't believe it is very different for any one of us. We all go through stuff...and it throws us off our game for a minute or two. The trick is figuring out what to do and how to eat well even in non-ideal situations. As I find tricks that work for me through this journey I will share.

My family eats clean at home, but when we are at family functions, scout activities or visiting friends or family I let them choose what they want to eat. I want to teach my boys what good and healthy food is and I want them to choose to eat it. Somehow it becomes yucky if I say, "this is what you have to eat". lol! My oldest actually told me that he would pass on a treat the other day because it wasn't clean and he would eat clean with me. Yay! Of course all of this came after my boys saying they were going to starve and telling everyone who asked that clean eating bites:)

I am finding that clean eating isn't very hard to do in my own home now that most of the cupboards and pantry have been cleaned out. I have been replacing old choices of food with better and cleaner food. In another couple of weeks I will write a post about what I have in my pantry. It might give you ideas about what to keep in your own pantry. 

Clean or cleaner eating is different for everyone. My husband who was death about doing this told me the other day that he went out with his co-workers to the favorite local hamburger joint and that for the first time ever, he didn't really like it. He said that he didn't feel good and it just didn't sound good to him. Now, realize that this is coming from a man who has eaten more hamburgers in his life than anyone I know :) That is probably an exaggeration, but you get the idea. 

Clean eating has improved how I feel and how my family feels. After just a few short weeks I have even lost about 5 pounds just from eating better. I don't count calories or anything like that...I just don't feel hungry like I used to. I attribute this to eating considerably less sugar and no preservatives or processed foods. If you haven't made the commitment to try it, give it a go. Aren't we all after a healthier body and increased energy? The magic solution? In my opinion, it is clean eating.

So, today this is what we ate:

Breakfast - Egg white omelet, fruit
Lunch - Almonds, grapes, whole-wheat toast (on the go lunch)
Dinner - Tilapia, green salad with balsamic dressing and a green smoothie.

To make the tilapia: 
Mix juice of a lemon, 1 tsp. sea salt, 2 tsp. cumin seeds or powder, 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes and a small bunch of chopped cilantro in a bowl. Place 2 pounds of tilapia loins in a 9x13 baking dish and spread mixture evenly over fish. Broil on high for 10 minutes or until fish is white and flaky. Serve over salad or rice.

Smoothie:
2-3 cups seedless red grapes
1-2 cups fresh spinach
1 banana
2 oranges
1 cup ice

Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment