Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Just Do It

I thoroughly enjoy to trail run. Having said that, I am not a runner and definitely do not like going alone. I have visions of wild animals attacking me or of something random happening and no one knows...morbid huh? I found myself seldom getting out on the trail so I decided to do something about it.

Is there something you have always wanted to do but just have not taken the time or the initiative to do it? My challenge for you is to simply do it. Find that thing you have been wanting to do and make it work. How did I do it?

1. Determine when you can fit it into your schedule.
2. Invite those you know to join you and form a group of others interested in trying it out. Convince them of the benefit of cross-training and trying something new.
3. Stick to the schedule.
4. Text the group the night before to line up a meeting place or a driver and to see who is planning on coming.

My opinion is always the more the merrier. A bigger group ensures that someone will always be available to go with you. New friendships are built as you share experiences together.

Getting a group together isn't hard, but can be rewarding when you take the time to simply do it. Many individuals are scared or nervous about asking others to join them in an activity for fear of rejection or lack of interest. If this describes you, don't let your fears stop you from enjoying the things that bring you feelings of satisfaction. I am usually surprised at the positive response others have when I invite them to participate. The biggest blockade are feelings of inadequacy or hesitation believing that they will hold the group back. And do not be afraid to invite those who are better at the activity than you.

For instance, in our trail running group that I just started a few weeks ago we have experienced fast runners, intermediate runners, some doing the couch to 5K program and those who are just starting with a walk/run program. It works. The faster runners do an out and back to pick up the stragglers or we will divide into groups. On one of the days it is always just me and the faster runners...not being a runner, I am always last. I don't mind at all. In fact, I find that I push myself a little harder on that day and I am slowly improving.

I have a BLAST participating on a local city league women's volleyball team. To top it off, I was just invited to play women's soccer with some friends. Although I have never played soccer, I am having soooo much fun. I would have never known how much fun it is if I had never tried in the first place. Believe in yourself and take some time for you. If you are like me, that time I take helps me be a better mom, wife and friend (:

Get out there and have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment