Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween Costumes


This year I decided to try something new for costumes. I have 3 boys who have, in succession, been bats, vampires, ghouls, batman, superman, you name it. I actually enjoy dressing my kiddos up for Halloween. This year we decided to go with a version of 2-Face...and of course one still had to be Superman! Here is how they turned out.




The two face costumes were very inexpensive and easy to do...even for me. I am not someone who sews so I was concerned. All I did was:

1. Find a local thrift store and purchase 2 different bottoms and 2 different shirts.
2. Cut each piece of clothing down the middle. The pants were a bit tricky so I cut the entire zipper or button to be on one side of the costume. Make sure the next pair of pants has the zipper on the same side so when I put the 2 pieces together, there was only one zipper.
3. Sew the clothing back together so that one side is the first article of clothing and the other side is the second article of clothing.
4. On the "monster" side use scissors to cut and rip the clothing.
5. Find two different shoes matching each side of the costume.
6. Do make-up. I purchased a $3 kit at Wal-Mart and started by painting a base layer of the main color. (I did not put paint on the areas that needed to be painted a different color). Allow this to dry then start adding the mouth and the accents around the eyes. The arm should be painted to match the monster face.
7. Purchase colored hairspray and after using a sticky gel to keep the hair standing up, spray the color on.
Voila!
My cost was roughly $20 ($9 of that on make-up and hair) for two costumes. Not bad. And needless to say their friends thought the costumes were great!


Of course I can't leave without saying how sweet I think my youngest looked in his cute Superman costume:)

No comments:

Post a Comment