Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Indoor Workouts

How are you doing at getting your 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise in 
6 days a week
 If you have putted off starting this challenge..start today!

A friend recently commented that she does not like the cold weather and was wondering how to work out inside without getting bored.

The key for me is variety. If I do the same thing everyday it becomes boring. I invested in a few pieces of equipment for my home. Weights, stability ball, weighted balls, dumbells, treadmill and an indoor cycling trainer (for my road bike). I also have a few different videos like 30-day blast. I recently joined an on-line yoga website so I can access different yoga videos in the comfort of my own home.

rotate my cardio exercise between running (with different grades), walking and biking. I do 30-60 minutes 6 days a week. On the days where I do less than 30 minutes I will try to add in a workout video or yoga class because my ultimate goal for this month is to get at least 60 minutes of cardio in 6 days per week.

I play volleyball and count that as my cardio the one night a week I play. I also decided last week to play basketball with the ladies in my church. I have not played basketball for about 15 years and it was an experience :) First of all, the cardio workout was great. It is bouts of high intensity exercise which adds to my workout variety. Secondly, I laughed almost all the way home. I forgot how competitive some women are. So I not only got a great 50 minute workout, but a great laugh as well:) Thanks ladies!

Mixing up your routines and activities is essential to getting the most out of your workout. Our bodies are so wonderful that they are capable of adapting to the workouts we throw at it. If we always do the same workout, the body will learn to do those workouts more efficiently therefore burning fewer calories. BUT, if we are always doing a workout that is different from the previous one, it forces our body to continue trying to adapt and make changes in muscle mass, fat percent, lung capacity, etc.

One more thing I do is to listen to music, exercise with a friend, or if needs be, watch TV while I am on the treadmill.

Remember to keep variety in the exercises you are doing and that will help keep the boredom away:)

Carri

No comments:

Post a Comment